New pup for Xmas?
If you got a new pup for Xmas, please follow these basics to get you on the right track for looking after your dog correctly and surviving the puppy stage of its life!
- get to a puppy school in your area, make sure they are clean, controlled and cover the basics on toilet training, feeding, biting, teething, grooming, socialising and most of all correcting and praising the right way.
- Don't banish your pup to outside, they are a pack animal and really want to be with you, the pack. Have them inside with you even if it's just for a short amount of time.
- Feed your pup good quality dry food, don't buy cheap and nasty, too many preservatives and colourings can affect your pups' behaviour so please buy what you can afford and try to make it high quality food.
- Don't allow your puppy to jump up onto your furniture and onto people, especially kids, this will make them form bad habits and it will be hard to correc these later.
- only correct your puppy if you catch him in the act of doing something wrong, not after the event, your pup won't know what he has done wrong.
- Have your puppy sleeping inside near you for the first few nights, this will settle the pup more and allow your pup to slowly get used to the new den and pack he has become a member of.
- Make sure you keep up your vet visits and vaccinations and that your pup is in good health and listen to everything your vet tells you to do.
- Don't take your pup out on the ground at any public place such as the local park or beach until he/she has been fully vaccinated.
- PLEASE DON'T EVER HIT OR SMACK YOUR PUPPY, IT WON'T WORK AND THEY WILL SEE YOU AS A BOSS, NOT A LEADER.
YOU WANT TO BE A GOOD LEADER TO YOUR DOG.